WILD10, the 10th World Wilderness Congress runs in Salamanca, Spain from 4 to 10 October 2013: a massive, inspirational international event for a whole week. Hope to see you all there! And please do not miss out on the Rewilding Europe activities!
The Full day Rewilding seminar “Making Europe a Wilder Place” 9 October, 09.00–19.30 hrs
At this full-day inspirational seminar we will present our visions, plans, actions and also demonstrate real showcases and concrete examples of our rewilding work. We will discuss many new facts about rewilding, wildlife as well as about the business case for the wild.
It will be a day full with selected exciting themes and specially invited high-level speakers, divided into four different, but strongly connected sections: ‘Wilder Landscapes and Ecosystems’, ‘Resurrection of three European Wildlife Icons’, ‘The Wild Business Case’.
The new European Wildlife Bank will be presented for the first time, and so will the new European Rewilding Network, which connects dozens of rewilding initiatives. Also the Rewilding Bison Action Plan and the Wild Horse Rewilding Action Plan will be launched here and now.
The third draw of the Rewilding Europe Travel Club is planned at the end of Rewilding Europe Seminar. (The Auditorium, Hospedería Fonseca, University of Salamanca; 09.00—19.30 hrs)
Plenary presentations by Rewilding Europe at the Global Gathering – 4, 5 and 6 October (Palacio de Congresos y Exposiciones de Castilla y Leon)
- Europe’s Wildlife is Coming Back: Richard Grimmett (Director of Conservation, BirdLife International) & Monika Bohm (Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London) – a Rewilding Europe/WILD10 Launch and Presentation to the European Commission and Council of Europe;
- Making Europe a Wilder Place: Frans Schepers (Managing Director, Rewilding Europe) (Session Europe – A “Century of Nature Conservation” – 11.15–12.45 hrs)
- The Rewilding 10 – Making it Real: Staffan Widstrand (Rewilding Europe, Sweden) (A Rewilding Europe/WILD10 Launch Initiative): (Session “New Constituencies – Inspiring, Informing, and Empowering”; 11.20–13.00 hrs)
- Wildlife in Europe: A Vital Part of Our Identity and Soul (Audio Visual): Staffan Widstrand (Founder and Managing Director, Wild Wonders of Europe, Sweden): 18.20 hrs.
- The Business Case for The WILD – Private Entrepreneurship and Commercial Finance as Tools for Conserving Wildlands: Giles Davies, (Conservation Capital, UK) – a Rewilding Europe/WILD10 Launch event of Rewilding Europe Capital. (Session “Nature-Based Development – Investment, Business, and Wild Nature” – 11.45–13.00 hrs)
- Building Community Conservancies in Europe: Neil Birnie (Rewilding Europe, Scotland) – Session “Private Lands, Wilderness and Rewilding” – 18.00–18.45 hrs.
(S&SS – C-1, and S&SS C-2)
Eight presentations in two sessions on the rewilding and related to it topics in the science stream at the Global Forum. (C-1 Rewilding In Europe – Session A Session B (11:30 am to 1:10 pm) – Aula 2.1 and C-2 Rewilding In Europe– Session B Session C (3:00 pm to 4:30 pm)– Aula 2.5)
Visit Campanarios De Azaba – 7 October
Please do not miss to visit Campanarios De Azaba reserve, southwest of Salamanca Province, a rewilding area owned by our local rewilding partners FNYH, with eagles, vultures dehesa wildlife, and Retuertas horses and Sayaguesa cattle (part of the Tauros breeding programme).
Launch of Aurochs book – 6 October, 19.00-20.00
Launch of THE AUROCHS – BORN TO BE WILD, a fantastic book about the comeback of this European icon species: jointly with Taurus Foundation and CoalitionWILD at the CoalitionWILD Lounge in “The Tent”, Palacio de Congresos de Salamanca (Exhibiting zone A; 19.00–20.00 hrs)
Launch of Wild Wonders of Europe indoor exhibition – 4 October, 21.00
A breathtaking photographic initiative that showcases the natural heritage of Europe, and celebrates the remarkable return of parts of its wildlife. You can see it from 3-10 October in the Exhibition Hall of the Palacio de Congresos and Exhibitions of Salamanca. Open to the public with free admission from 10–12 h and 15 to 20 h.
Launch of “Wolf Mountains” film about Eastern Carpathians – 9 October, 19.00 to 22.00
A stunning documentary film ‘The Wolf Mountains’ about the Eastern Carpathians rewilding area, which will be screen in October in Slovakia and during WILD 10 (Teatro Juan del Encina; 19 to 22hrs; free admission – to be confirmed)
ILCP “Wild Speak” – 10 October
“Wild Wonders of Europe – Where are we now?” – Staffan Widstrand, Wild Wonders of Europe, during the third day of WiLDspeak Conservation Communication Symposium, co-hosted by the International League of Conservation Photographers (iLCP) and WILD: Section
Rewilding Europe stand during WILD 10 – 4–10 October
Participants and guests of WILD 10 can meet the Rewilding Europe crew here at any time and get books and info materials from the initiative in the stand 17/18 in Zone A, a stand that we man jointly together with the Taurus Foundation and Wild Wonders of Europe.
Treat yourself to one of the truly inspirational weeks of your life – come to the Rewilding Europe days and events at WILD10 and grab the opportunity to meet our team and find out what we are up to. See you there!