The Malingsbo-Kloten Nature Reserve, Sweden
Location:The Malingsbo-Kloten Nature Reserve
Type of protection:Nature Reserve
54 000 hectares of forest has been protected from development since 1950, when the wilderness became a nature reserve. This is the reason why the forest has been left in peace and why the wilderness still is a popular retreat for many wild animals. Unique is the location only 2,5 h from Stockholm.
- Habitat types: Wilderness
- Keystone species present: River pearl mussel, three toed woodpecker and osprey
- Fauna (mega) species present: Moose, deer, beaver, fox, lynx, wolf and bear
- Vegetation types present: Forest
- Description: The Malingsbo-Kloten Nature Reserve is one of the biggest nature reserves in Sweden. High hills and deep valleys surround a long stretch of excellent paddling water with steep cliffs descending dramatically into the river along narrow stretches. The wilderness is located on top of a higher plateau and the wildlife is rich. There are a lot of moose, deer and beavers but also lynxes, wolves and bears are represented. The reserve is one of the most moose-populated areas in the World.
- Aim: The Malingsbo-Kloten Nature Reserve was one of a few areas nominated by the Swedish Eco Tourism association as a candidate a few years ago. The aim is to extend the level of protection and territory. There are other wild areas around the reserve which can be extended to a 100000 hectares wilderness.
- Vision: That the Malingsbo-Kloten Nature Reserve would be a totally protected area according to the Rewilding standards.
- Accomplished in 10 years from now: The Malingsbo-Kloten Nature Reserve being extended and a totally protected area according to the Rewilding standards.
- Uniqueness: The big size of wilderness area (more than 100 000 hectares) only 2,5 hours from Stockholm.
- Results so far: The extensive investigation and research accomplished in the application process to the Swedish Rewilding nomination a few years ago.
- Flagship species: Elk
- Other characteristics: Eco tourism, Recreational activities
- Inspirational value: .
- Experience you would like to share: The Philosophy is to accomplish active nature experiences in the nature reserve. A safari is not only a drive in a vehicle, it is a wider nature experience when the visitor achieves a soft activity in the nature while watching wild animals.
- Experience you would like to gain: Support to reach the 10 years goal from now: The Malingsbo-Kloten Nature Reserve being a totally protected area according to the Rewilding standards.