Iberian wildlife photography network
Location:Montgai (as central location of the project)
Type of protection:Natura 2000 areas, Catalan PEIN areas, Natural Parks.
This project aims to build a network of hides all around the Iberian Peninsula for the most emblematic species of Southern Europe. The project is based in a close collaboration of tourism companies and farmers. Nowadays the project has set more than 50 hides.
- Habitat types: Steppes, Alpine Forests, Mediterranean Forest, Wetlands
- Keystone species present: Little Bustard, Great Bustard, Montagu's Harrier, Capercaillie, Golden Eagle, Booted Eagle, Goshawk and other forest raptors, Alpine Passerines, Bonelli's Eagle.
- Description: Involving farmers and other land owners by means of revenue systems of incomes for wildlife photography activities.
- Aim: Getting to change perceptions of farmers and local stakeholders through wildlife conservation.
- Vision: Become one of the main wildlife touristic agents in Southern Europe with the involvement of farmers and other owners. In this way we expect to have a wide network for the most threatened habitats depending of human activities in the Iberian Peninsula.
- Accomplished in 10 years from now: Hides working in Murcia area for mediterranean forest species, in Catalonia and Castilla y León for steppe birds and alpine forest and in Valencia for wetlands.
- Uniqueness: Our incomes revenue system is one of the strongest points of this project. At the same time we rent cereal fields for habitat management leading to varietal recovery for species like Great Bustard. The networking with local administrations gives the opportunity to work in common forests areas.
- Results so far: Getting agricultural managing of steppe lands oriented to conservation. <br /> Achieve that vulture populations become a touristic attraction to economically depressed areas.<br /> Change some practices in forest management leading to forest birds protection.
- Flagship species: Vulture
- Other characteristics: Eco tourism, Recreational activities
- Inspirational value: .
- Experience you would like to share: Building of network in wildlife photography.
- Experience you would like to gain: Promotion of services in international markets.