Saviore valleys, the valleys of the kings
Location:Saviore dell'Adamello, Provincia di Brescia, Lombardia, Italy
Type of protection:SCI IT 2070004 Monte Maser - Corni di Bos, SCI IT 2070007 Vallone del Forcel Rosso, SPA IT 2070401 Parco Naturale Adamello, Regional Park, Natural Park
Saviore valleys, the valleys of the kings is a territorial programme which aims to involve local communities, business operators and public administrations to work together in order to defend biodiversity, to promote sustainable development and nature-oriented tourism.
- Habitat types: Forests of conifers and deciduous trees, alpine and sub-alpine grassland, heath, scrub, bogs, marshes, water fringed vegetation, fens
- Keystone species present: Brown bear (Ursus arctos), Alpine ibex (Capra ibex)
- Fauna (mega) species present: Red deer (Cervus elaphus), Roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)
- Fauna species reintroduced: Alpine ibex (Capra ibex), Chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra)
- Description: The programme involves:<br /> - renaturation of abandoned areas<br /> - struggle against poaching<br /> - large carnivores monitoring and conservation<br /> - peatlands conservation<br /> - maintenance of pasture<br /> - creation of sustainable touristic proposals <br /> - setting up network of local tourism entrepreneurs<br /> - restocking of populations of ungulates (Alpine ibex, Chamois, Red deer, Roe deer)<br /> - educational and information programmes dedicated to local community
- Aim: To maintain and restore habitats and species at favourable conservation status. To favor the conservation of large animals and support reintroduction of still rare species. To involve local communities and establish new business opportunities linked to the wildlife presence.
- Vision: Saviore valleys are a well known destination for wildlife tourism which brings incomes for local communities, becoming a model of the positive interaction between human activities and nature conservation. Huge public support ensures adequate Natura 2000 management and forest conservation.
- Uniqueness: Saviore valleys are the easiest way to reach Adamello glacier, the greatest Italian Alps glacier, at the heart of the widest alpine protected areas network, which involves Italy, Austria and Switzerland.
- Flagship species: Ibex
- Other characteristics: Community involved, Eco tourism, Education, Recreational activities, Research, Sale of sustainable products
- Inspirational value: .
- Experience you would like to share: community involvement
- Experience you would like to gain: preventing poaching