Paspardo nel cuore – territorial programme
Location:Paspardo, Provincia di Brescia, Lombardia, Italia
Type of protection:Regional Park, Natural Park, SPA IT 2070401 Parco Naturale Adamello, SCI IT 2070005 Pizzo Badile-Alta Val Zumella, SCI IT 2070008 Cresta Monte Colombè-Cima Barbignaga, UNESCO’s heritage n. 94 nomination, “Rock Drawings in Valcamonica”
Paspardo nel cuore (Paspardo in my heart) is a territorial programme which aims to involve local communities, business operators and public administrations to work together in order to restore natural processes, using wildlife and wild landscapes to provide new economic opportunities to the local communities.
- Habitat types: Forests of conifers and deciduous trees, alpine and sub-alpine grassland, heath, scrub, bogs, marshes, water fringed vegetation, chestnut copse
- Keystone species present: Brown bear (Ursus arctos), Alpine ibex (Capra ibex)
- Fauna (mega) species present: Red deer (Cervus elaphus), Roe deer (Capreolus capreolus), Chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra)
- Fauna species reintroduced: Alpine ibex (Capra ibex), Chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra)
- Description: The programme involves:<br /> - renaturation of abandoned areas<br /> - fight against poaching<br /> - large carnivores monitoring and conservation<br /> - monitoring and restocking of ungulate populations<br /> - maintenance of pasture<br /> - management of a wildlife center<br /> - creation of sustainable touristic proposals <br /> - classification and maintenance of the hiking routes network<br /> - setting up network of local tourism entrepreneurs<br /> - cultural activities<br /> - creation of new online and offline communication tools
- Aim: To maintain and restore habitats and species at favourable conservation status. To favor the conservation of large animals and support reintroduction of still rare species. To involve local communities and establish new business opportunities linked to the wildlife presence.
- Vision: Paspardo is a well known destination for wildlife tourism which brings incomes for local communities, becoming a model of the positive interaction between human activities and nature conservation. Huge public support ensures adequate Natura 2000 management and conservation forest and pasture.
- Uniqueness: For thousands of years, with its rock engravings, Paspardo is a reference on an international scale of the spiritual relationship between man and nature. The project intends to walk in the path of this symbolic value to contribute to the definition of a new scenario of sustainable life on the Alps.
- Results so far: Paspardo and Saviore dell’Adamello, together with Braone, are one of the most advanced laboratories for environmental, social and economic sustainability in the Alps.
- Flagship species: Ibex
- Other characteristics: Community involved, Eco tourism, Education, Recreational activities, Research, Sale of sustainable products
- Inspirational value: Establishing conservation areas and issues is a way to preserve nature for future generations, although only few of these initiatives are transformed into real opportunities for local communities and then in real opportunities for nature conservation in the long term. The project intends to promote a case study exportable to other European mountain areas.
- Experience you would like to share: Involvement of the local community
- Experience you would like to gain: Best practices and planning for habitat conservation; Best techniques for habitat restoration, including through the use of large herbivorous mammals, including grazing of large herbivorous mammals