Natural grazing to restore Pededze valley
Type of protection:Natura 2000
Pededze valley is particularly special because of its exceptionally high concentrations of calling corncrake and it serves as a large mating area for snipes. Due to the remoteness of the area it has a rich fauna where the three large predators wolf, lynx and brown bear are part of.
- Habitat types: River floodplain meadow
- Keystone species present: Great Snipe, meadow dependent species
- Fauna (mega) species present: Moose, Red Deer, Bear, Wolf, Lynx, Eagle
- Fauna species reintroduced: Horse (konik), Cattle (rewilded cross breed)
- Vegetation types present: Meadow, mixed forest, swamp
- Description: In the area itself and the area upstream, the river is channeled and valleys are drained to some extent. In the course of the 90s, the open park-like valleys with groups and solitary oaks became overgrown and fully covered with willow storage in particular. ARK Nature and the Latvian Fund for Nature (LDF) are working together to restore the openness of the valley by removing bush store and allow the natural process of natural grazing.
- Aim: Restoration of natural wetland grasslands and natural river.
- Vision: Natural river valley in which natural processes as flooding, ice forming, 'sponginess', natural grazing and predation are fully present.
- Accomplished in 10 years from now: Large scale contiguous natural areas including a natural river system with natural processes such as natural grazing by large herbivores and predation.
- Uniqueness: The valley is secluded and enclosed between Latvia's large forest massifs. This has a particularly strong attraction on wild herbivores that forage in the grassy valley and offers the peace and space for shy species, especially predators like lynx, wolf and brown bear.
- Results so far: Natural grazing areas on now 30 (from 20 to 2000 ha) spread across the country combined with small-scale tourism.
- Flagship species: Feral horses
- Inspirational value: .
- Experience you would like to share: Natural grazing, river restoration, local involvement, nature and agriculture, nature education, eco products (wild meat)
- Experience you would like to gain: Intensifying relation people and nature